Sunday, February 14, 2010

Part of the conversation

Yesterday I worked a full day while Doug stayed home with Vivienne. While I miss her, it's a great opporutnity for me to do the work I can't do when I have her with me. Including, spending more time chatting it up with people. There were several times I had the opportunity to do missionary work just by putting it out there that I was member of the church. It was great!

It was picture day and the photographer's wife used to be a member of the church, which we discovered several months ago when they were taking my pregnancy pictures. Yesterday, she just started talking to me about how she'd run into some of her old Young Women and about how she'd had the calling of Scout mom for a long time. It was great to talk to her about it and I was happy to talk to her about it all because I felt like it was probably stuff she hadn't talked about in a long time.

A little while later, there were some parents standing near by talking about a Mormon they knew and 'all the kids' they had. I really believe in letting people know Mormons are part of the conversation in the story they tell about us, so I just jumped right in and said 'I only have one kid,' with a laugh. They looked at me and asked if I was Mormon, which I confirmed and then we just talked about kids and how many I should have. It was a fun, light conversation, but my point was to let them know that I'm LDS, you never know who is LDS, and we are part of the conversation!

After these two experiences, I was feeling pretty good about myself. So, when I had the opportunity to drive my niece to the hospital to visit my sister (complications with an appendectomy) I made her listen to Come, Come Ye Saints and tried to explain a little bit about what the song meant and who the pioneers were. Granted, she only listened to it because I told her we'd listen to the radio when the song was over, but she did ask 'What does 'all is well' mean?'

I'm not very good at talking to people about the gospel, so I'm trying to better at just letting them know I'm a member of the church and Mormons aren't as obscure as many think.

No comments: