Friday, April 1, 2011

My (Kind of) Mom

I realize in more ways every day that I am a mom in many ways like my mom was when we were growing up, which is great, but not exactly something I set out to do on purpose, you know? I just find myself falling into it or saying things and thinking "Oh, my mom did that all the time."

Of course this makes sense, but earlier this week I realized I may do something my mom did that I swore I'd never do.

When we were growing up, I hesitated to invite friends over to play on Saturdays because Saturdays at my house were work/chore days and my mom did not hesitate to put my friends to work. Usually they didn't mind, but I hate it when she would say things like 'Girls, I need you to take out the garbage' or 'Girls, why don't you clean the windows' etc.

Yesterday, though, Vivi's cousin (really 2nd cousin) who is 12(?) was over playing with her outside and having a great time. As soon as Olivia left I thought 'Shoot, I should've had them take out the recycling because tomorrow's garbage day.' Vivi regularly helps us carry out the recycles (milk jugs are easy for her to carry), so it would've been easy for them to do and I was bummed I didn't think of it earlier.

But that's when it occurred to me: 'That's why my mom did it! You can get twice as much done half as fast when there's two and it makes it more fun for the kid than doing it by themselves, I get to keep what I need to be doing (and it gets them outta the house). Oh my gosh, that totally makes sense to me. I am my mom.'

I don't know if I'll stick with this one, but it's kind of funny to realize why your mom did certain things you just couldn't understand (or mortified you) as a child :)

No comments: