Thursday, July 29, 2010

Crazy, crazy

I haven't been as good about writing lately because I've been sooo busy! Doug's little cousins and aunt and uncle were in town all last week and it was so much fun to be with them. Vivienne LOVED playing with all the kids, especially their 12 year old boy named Bowie, whom she affectionately called 'Bo Bo.'

The weekend they got here we had a family reunion up at the Ranch, which is some property with cabins Doug's grandma owns in Day Creek. It was all fun (Vivi showed off her dancing moves and hogged the mic at kareoke), but the most meaningful moment came when we all got together in front of the Hayes Hideaway cabin, which has been the family cabin for more than 40 years. By the end of the summer, that property will be sold and the cabins torn down. I was sad at the thought of that even though I've only been up there a couple times.

As I thought about it, though, I realized that's just part of the plan. Marie and Ken bought that property as a place for their posterity to go, but also as an investment. After many years of enjoyment, the time has come for the plan to come full-circle. There's nothing wrong with that. But now, I think, it's time for the next generation for parents and future grandparents (myself included) to do something similar. Maybe not by 120 acres of wilderness, but create our own traditions for our own posterity. Nothing lasts forever and so I cannot be disappointed when it ends, but I can forever relish the memories of what we created.

Now I just have to figure out what that is...

No comments: